Some interesting facts about wolves:
1) Body :
- The average adult wolf is 127 to 164 cm long from nose to tail.An adults tail is 47 mm long. A pup's tail is about 27 mm long.The front paws are smaller than the back paws. Wolf paws are 2 times bigger than a coyote paws.
2) Wolf Pups :
- Mating season is from January to April. Pups are born about 63 days after breeding. The average litter is 6 pups. The mother stays close to the young for about 2 months. She eats some food then throws it up for her pups to eat. The pups start getting teeth in the third week. A wolf lives approximately 10 years.
3) Wolf Packs :
- There are 4 to 36 wolves in a pack. Two to six of them stay at the den. They have a territory that ranges from 130 to 13,000 km. They will defend it. They eat anything from a mouse to a moose, depending on what is available.
4) Hunting :
- Wolves either hunt in packs or alone. They follow their prey. They hunt elk, deer, sick animals and weak animals.
5) Communication :
- You can tell wolves are friendly ,when they roll over and show their bellies. When they want to play, they put their paws down and wag their tail. When they want to fight, they show their fangs and start growling. When they want to stop they put their ears back and lay down.
Learn more About the Wolf and prepare to share your findings with the class.